The first records of the fallow deer herd date back to 1628. In 1800 the herd numbered 800 but now numbers about 350 animals. The herd is managed to maintain its distinctive dark brown coat.
The dovecote dates from the 18th century. The doves or pigeons (squabs) would have provided the Parham household with fresh meat during the winter months. The circular walls of the dovecote are lined with small square brick nesting boxes.
The Ice House
The Ice House, whose doorway can be seen from the drive, is built into the side of Windmill Hill. It dates from the second half of the 18th century, and would have been filled with ice collected from the ponds in the park during the winter months. Packed in straw, the ice could survive during the summer months, and be used in the making of ice cream and sorbets.